What Makes Me Keep Going

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sick and No Treats

Sick kids - it's the worst. 

I'm going to start this with an important statement - I work in special needs trust administration, and I hear stories all day of parents who spend hours/days/weeks in hospital, doctors offices, and therapies just so their kids can live a "normal" life. To those parents, you have my utmost respect, because here I am whining about what I hope will turn out to be a 24 hour flu bug.

Now for the whining: two of my three children are sick, including one that puked, told me she felt better then immediately ran to the bathroom again. I am fortunate that the baby, is as of now healthy. Babies cannot be put on the couch with a Disney movie, favorite blanket, and a pillow. They crawl around, cry, and puke where ever they want.

Now, it is not the fact that tomorrow is the end of the month, which means that working with financial accounts, I have things I need to do at work. It is not the fact that I will have a ton of laundry and sanitizing to do. What is bumming me out is, tomorrow is Halloween. Who wants to tell their kids that it is a poor show to go trick or treating if you might puke on someone's shoes? When I explained to my oldest tonight that no school tomorrow meant no trick or treating - her already red eyes immediately teared up. Stab to the heart. 

This is where parenting is tough. I'm sure my daughter would say she felt fine even if she was next to death in order to go trick or treating, in order to get candy, that she will want to eat, that she will most likely get sick from. And I will want to say yes - I mean, trick or treating only happens once a year and she has an amazing costume. But because I love her, and because being healthy is more important, I will let her lay in my bed with me and watch Halloween movies instead. 

But in the meantime the world is missing out on these two adorable costumes:

Smurfette
Dora the Explorer

No comments:

Post a Comment