What Makes Me Keep Going

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Balance: Urban Myth or Attainable Goal?

So I haven't written a "real" post in a couple days because I knew what I wanted to write about but couldn't pick my angle. See, I wanted to write about the parenting holy grail...balance.

Ask any mother, new, seasoned, young, old...they will tell you the secret to a happy home is balance. Then they will ask you to tell them how you do it when you figure it out. For me it's balancing my time between being a mom, a wife, a professional, working (for God) through my church, and not forgetting that I am a person underneath all of that as well. Everyone always needs something, and their need is always most important.

I don't have the answer. I'm not going to pretend I do...I mean, the title of the blog has the phrases "over scheduled" and "over worked" in them, so obviously I'm not expert. But I do have some thoughts...

1. Stop pretending you can give each "hat" you wear equal time. Can't happen. Somethings are simply more important than others, and something are more demanding. Also some live at your house and there is no where to hide.

2. Follow your gut. Although all logic maybe saying one thing is important, your heart usually knows the right answer. For instance: Logic says that you really need to go to an event at your church, but your heart knows your kids are needing some of your time. Or maybe logic says you need some time at home, but your heart tells you that the church outreach needs your attention. Follow your heart, and don't let anyone guilt you either way.

3. Buy a calendar. Keeping on top of things that demand your time will keep things from becoming overwhelming and allow you to divide your time as evenly as possible.

4. Don't let one area rule the others. No matter how many excuses you can think of.

5. Don't forget about yourself. As a mom, you want everything to be great for everyone. But you are part of "everyone". Take care of yourself. Create situations to be alone. My drug of choice is wondering the aisles of Target alone, which I last did...well when was there snow on the ground last?

6. Learn to say no. I would provide a real life example, but sadly I don't have any..I'm still working on this one.

These five things won't lead you to instance success. Or instant happiness. And no matter how good of an idea they be, putting things like in practice is difficult at best.

Balance is what every family needs...and when you find out how...well you know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment