What Makes Me Keep Going

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Evening Rush

Being a mom is stressful. Whether you stay at home or work, each have their moments where you don't think you can take one more thing, or you will explode. Usually this can be curtailed with a cup of coffee, can of Dr. Pepper, whatever your poison might be.

Tonight, however, I'm talking to the working mom, and to complicate my  situation, my husband has recently taken a job that takes him out of town during the work week. I get off work at 5pm. On a weekend it takes about 30 minutes to get to my office from my home. During the week, an hour. Plus the two child care pick ups I have to make both on my way and coming home from the office. From the time I step foot out of my office (usually 4:50, as I leave a little early to beat the rush in the parking garage) until I put the kids to bed, I feel like I'm running a race against the clock that I am sure to lose.

This evening, my oldest daughter Hannah's elementary school was doing "Spirit Night" at the local very yummy ice cream place. Wanting to be a mom that participates, I decide to take the girls. I invite my mom for support, and that turns in my sister, brother-in-law and niece coming, so I decide to make some dinner.

I skip lunch so I can leave at 4, thinking in theory if I leave an hour early then I will get home an hour early. WRONG! I only got home about 20 minutes early, because Murphy's law says when you are in a hurry there is a fender bender every 20 feet that everyone must slow down and gawk at. Then I'm rush rush rushing to both take care of my kids and make supper. Then we rush through supper to get to the ice cream place. By the time we get home and I get the kids in bed (It's 9 by the way...their regular bedtime is 8) I look around my  house in disarray , sigh, and climb in bed to write this blog.

There must be an easier way. The only thing I can determine is that we need to be able to teleport. And why, of all the stupid things we can do with technology, hasn't this been invented and perfected yet? The market is huge! I'd pay a years salary for the ability to get my office to my house in minutes. And I know you are thinking, "well move closer to your office". Well there is the issue of the school system. The closer to my office you get the worse the schools get. With all the money in the downtown area you would think quality schools, but I truly believe most of the people who work in my building also live in my suburb.

I guess in the meantime, I will stick to leaving 10 minutes early, and keeping the Dr. Pepper flowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment