What Makes Me Keep Going

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Nap Time: A Mother's Last Stronghold

I love my children. They are amazing. They are also intense. By 1pm, I am ready for a nap...for all of us. The activities a mom can do during nap time is endless. I could also take a nap. I could blog. I could have the TV ALL TO MYSELF. I could catch up on house work. Make my grocery list. And probably, if I really put my mind to it, balance the federal budget and end world hunger. The possibilities are endless.

So when my oldest turned 3 and a half and decided that nap time was no longer going to be part of her routine, a little part of me died inside. But then I had the perfect solution! "Rest Time". Rest time requires my daughter to stay in her room and play quietly. There is a TV in her room (I know, I know bad mommy, but we only have one living area and Dora gets old fast. She has to share it with her sister.) so she is free to watch whatever Disney happiness she chooses. Now at 5, almost 6, rest time still applies. I usually check on her and give her a snack and a drink, but she is happy as can be and so am I. The trick is make it sound more fun than staying in your room for an hour and a half while mommy recovers from the morning.

My middle daughter is three now, and I'm sure, will attempt to give up her nap soon. I guess I better buy some good toys for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment