What Makes Me Keep Going

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Is It Bedtime Yet?

I know it has been roughly 100 years since I have posted anything. See the title of this blog, well, that is my excuse.

But as I find myself with a little spare time, I'm going to write about my new favorite topic: bedtime. No, no, no..not my kids' bedtimes, mine. With every child, my bedtime has been pushed back. One night this week I didn't sleep, although mostly due to one too many things on my mind. (One would've thought, since I was awake all night, I could have found a few minutes to blog.) Somehow, I made it through almost 48 hours of no sleep, and accomplished everything I needed to without crashing or freaking out.

In the midst of the 48 hours, however, I made a decision. I need a bedtime. I need a set time where I say, "everything else will wait until tomorrow, now it is time to sleep." A time when Facebook is shut off, television is silent, and "to do" lists are put away. So I have decided for me, pending some unforeseen event, bedtime is 10:30, unless it's the weekend and I get a nap in (LOL).

Last night I went to bed at 11. (Hey can't get everything right the first time.) I had a late start time at work, so I got 7 hours of sleep. SEVEN HOURS OF SLEEP. ON A WEEKNIGHT. This is unheard of, but I will tell you what, I was the most productive I had been in a long time. Furthermore, this evening as I was home alone with my three girls (husband is on the road again), when two large kinks were put in the chain of my evening. I rolled with it. No internal (or external) freak out.

I always thought the secret to a happy family was well managed bedtimes, I just didn't realize the one that needed managed was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment